No emotion or feeling is more universal than love. It's all-encompassing and a word that may not be the same across every language, but love is found in every culture and corner of the world. From north to south, east to west. These famous quotes about love say all that - and more.
Famous Love Quotes That Capture All the Emotion
The philosophers know a thing or two about love, as do the poets, and everyone navigating the human experience. Love is our common bond.
- 150+ Baby Boy Names That Start With J (With Meanings)
- 150 Baby Girl Names That Start With A (Plus Meanings)
- 80+ Beautiful Egyptian Baby Girl Names and Meanings
- "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." - Aristotle
- "The best thing to hold onto in life is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
- "Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope." - Maya Angelou
- "To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." - David Viscott
- "Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness." - Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
- "If you find someone you love in your life, then hang on to that love." - Princess Diana
- "The giving of love is an education in itself." - Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination." - Voltaire
- "Love is not only something you feel, it is something you do." - David Wilkerson
- "Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit." - Peter Ustinov
- "Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- "Love is a friendship set to music." - Joseph Campbell
- "We are most alive when we're in love." - John Updike
- "Love is the greatest refreshment in life." - Pablo Picasso
- "Love is a game that two can play and both win." - Eva Gabor
- "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." - Helen Keller
- "The heart wants what it wants. There's no logic to these things. You meet someone and you fall in love and that's that." - Woody Allen
- "Love is a better teacher than duty." - Albert Einstein
- "Love is like a flower; it grows and opens up with tenderness, care, and affection." - Debasish Mridha
- "I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love." - Mother Teresa
- "Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own." - H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- "Love is a promise; love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear." - John Lennon
- "Love is a fruit in season at all times and within the reach of every hand." - Mother Teresa
- "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage." - Lao Tzu
- "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend." - Martin Luther King Jr.
- "Love is not what the mind thinks, but what the heart feels." - Greg Evans
- "Love is the emblem of eternity; it confounds all notion of time; effaces all memory of a beginning, all fear of an end." - Madame de Staël
- "Love is like a river, always changing, but always finding you again somewhere down the road." - Kelly Elaine
- "Love is like a fire. Whether it will warm your heart or burn down your house, you can never tell." - Joan Crawford
- "Love is a game that two can play and both win." - Eva Gabor
- "Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us feeling lost and confused." - Paulo Coelho
- "The art of love is largely the art of persistence." - Albert Ellis
- "Love is the joy of the good, the wonder of the wise, the amazement of the Gods." - Plato
- "Love is a fruit in season at all times and within reach of every hand." - Mother Teresa
- "Love is a language spoken by everyone, but understood only by the heart." - Paulo Coelho
- "Love is the flower you've got to let grow." - John Lennon
- "Love is not finding someone to live with; it's finding someone you can't live without." - Rafael Ortiz
- "Love is a sweet tyranny because the lover endures his torment willingly." - Proverb
- "Love is the bridge between two hearts." - Anonymous
- "Love is like a good coffee, sweet, warm, and addictive." - Anonymous
- "Love is not about how much you say 'I love you,' but how much you prove that it's true." - Anonymous
- "Love is not about possession. It's all about appreciation." - Anonymous
- "Love is an endless act of forgiveness. Forgiveness is looking past someone's flaws and seeing their worth." - Anonymous
- "Love is like the ocean. It can be calm and still or rough and rigid, but in the end, it is always beautiful." - Anonymous
- 100+ Love Quotes for Life’s Big and Little Moments
Famous Quotes About Love From Writers and Literature
A great writer knows how to encapsulate the feeling of love and the waves of emotion it brings with it.
- "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." - Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights
- "I have loved you all my life, Juliet, more than my own soul." - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
- "You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how." - Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind
- "The only way you can beat my crazy was by doing something crazy yourself. Thank you. I love you. I knew it from the moment I met you. I'm sorry it took so long for me to catch up." - Kiera Cass, The Selection
- "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds." - William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116
- "Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs." - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
- "You are my heart, my life, my one and only thought." - Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
- "Love is a possible strength in an actual weakness." - Thomas Hardy, Far from the Madding Crowd
- "You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love... I love... I love you." - Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
- "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
- "Love is a better master than duty." - Albert Einstein, The World as I See It
- "I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived: I've loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough." - Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- "You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not." - Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper
- "The very first moment I beheld him, my heart was irrevocably gone." - Jane Austen, Love and Friendship
- "Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it." - Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember
- "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." - Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
- "Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination." - Voltaire, Zadig
- "Love is a many splendored thing, and you are the definition of true splendor." - E.L. James, Fifty Shades of Grey
- "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind." - William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
- "Love is a portion of the soul itself, and it is of the same nature as the celestial breathing of the atmosphere of paradise." - Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
- "I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- "You and I, it's as though we have been taught to kiss in heaven and sent down to earth together, to see if we know what we were taught." - Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago
- "If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, they're yours; if they don't, they never were." - Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull
- "The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space." - Marilyn Monroe, Marilyn Monroe: Her Words
- "Love is a great beautifier." - Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
- "Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it." - Nicholas Sparks
- "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves." - Victor Hugo
- "Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." - Robert Frost
- "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss
- "Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs." - William Shakespeare
- "The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds." - Nicholas Sparks
- "Love is the only gold." - Alfred Lord Tennyson
- "The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along." - Jalal ad-Din Rumi
If you and your person like the same books or authors, share quotes from what you're currently reading or things you've read in the past. This can make the love quote really special.
Famous Sayings About Love From Song Lyrics
Music speaks volumes when you don't have the right words to say, but these lyrics do the job just fine.
- "You are the best thing that's ever been mine." - Taylor Swift, "Mine"
- "Cause all of me loves all of you, love your curves and all your edges, all your perfect imperfections." - John Legend, "All of Me"
- "I will always love you." - Whitney Houston, "I Will Always Love You"
- "I just want to dance the night away with you." - Bryan Adams, "Everything I Do (I Do It for You)"
- "You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be." - The Goo Goo Dolls, "Iris"
- "Love can touch us one time and last for a lifetime." - Celine Dion, "My Heart Will Go On"
- "I could stay awake just to hear you breathing." - Aerosmith, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
- "I will love you till the end of time." - Lana Del Rey, "Blue Jeans"
- "I could make you happy, make your dreams come true. Nothing that I wouldn't do. Go to the ends of the Earth for you, to make you feel my love." - Adele, "Make You Feel My Love"
- "You're still the one I run to, the one that I belong to." - Shania Twain, "You're Still the One"
- "Take my hand, take my whole life too, for I can't help falling in love with you." - Elvis Presley, "Can't Help Falling in Love"
- "I want to hold your hand, walk along the sand, laugh in the face of time." - The Beatles, "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
- "I don't want to miss a thing." - Aerosmith, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
- "You're beautiful, it's true." - James Blunt, "You're Beautiful"
- "And I will always love you, I will always love you." - Dolly Parton, "I Will Always Love You"
- "Cause all I need is a beauty and a beat, who can make my life complete." - Justin Bieber feat. Nicki Minaj, "Beauty and a Beat"
- "Baby, you're a firework, come on let your colors burst." - Katy Perry, "Firework"
- "Cause I can't help falling in love with you." - UB40, "Can't Help Falling in Love"
- "You're the reason I go on. You're the reason I sing this song." - Mariah Carey, "My All"
- "I'm just a little bit caught in the middle, life is a maze and love is a riddle." - Lenka, "The Show"
- "Cause every little thing gonna be alright." - Bob Marley, "Three Little Birds"
- "When you love someone, you'll do anything. You'll do all the crazy things that you can't explain." - Bryan Adams, "Everything I Do (I Do It for You)"
- "I don't want to lose your love tonight." - The Outfield, "Your Love"
- "And I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky, I'll be there." - Savage Garden, "I Knew I Loved You"
- "Love is a battlefield." - Pat Benatar, "Love Is a Battlefield"
- 97 Love Captions Straight From the Heart
Are you InTheKnow?
Sign up for our newsletter featuring all the latest stories and products we love.
Quotable Lines About Love From TV and Movies
Curl up on the couch while your favorite characters learn the ropes about falling in love.
- "You had me at hello." - Jerry Maguire (Jerry Maguire)
- "Love is never having to say you're sorry." - Love Story
- "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." - Notting Hill
- "I love you 3000." - Avengers: Endgame (Tony Stark/Iron Man)
- "To me, you are perfect." - Love Actually (Mark)
- "I wish I knew how to quit you." - Brokeback Mountain (Jack Twist)
- "I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone." - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Arwen)
- "I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." - Notting Hill (Anna Scott)
- "You complete me." - Jerry Maguire (Jerry Maguire)
- "Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me... it brought me to you." - Titanic (Jack Dawson)
- "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." - Moulin Rouge! (Christian)
- "You make me want to be a better man." - As Good as It Gets (Melvin Udall)
- "I love you. I knew it the minute I met you. I'm sorry it took so long for me to catch up. I just got stuck." - Silver Linings Playbook (Pat)
- "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts." - When Harry Met Sally... (Harry Burns)
- "Our love is like the wind... I can't see it, but I sure can feel it." - A Walk to Remember (Landon Carter)
- "I love you, and that's the beginning and end of everything." - The Age of Adaline (Ellis Jones)
- "You are my person. You will always be my person." - Grey's Anatomy (Cristina Yang)
- "It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it." - Sleepless in Seattle (Sam Baldwin)
- "I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it." - City of Angels (Seth)
- "You have bewitched me, body and soul." - Pride and Prejudice (Mr. Darcy)
- "I'm just a woman, standing in front of a man, asking him to love her." - Notting Hill (Anna Scott)
- "You can't lose something you never had." - Brokeback Mountain (Ennis Del Mar)
- "You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how." - Gone with the Wind (Rhett Butler)
- "You are my greatest adventure." - The Incredibles (Mr. Incredible)
- "Love is like the wind, you can't see it but you can feel it." - A Walk to Remember (Landon Carter)
- "I love you and I like you." - Parks and Recreation (Leslie Knope)
- "If you're a bird, I'm a bird." - The Notebook (Noah Calhoun)
- "I have a lot of faith in us. I believe in us." - Grey's Anatomy (Meredith Grey)
- "It's always been you." - Friends (Ross Geller)
- "I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." - The Office (Jim Halpert)
- "I choose you." - Pokémon (Ash Ketchum)
- "You're the lobster." - Friends (Phoebe Buffay)
- "I love our story. Sure, it's messy, but it's the story that got us here." - How I Met Your Mother (Ted Mosby)
- "If I had to choose between breathing and loving you, I would use my last breath to say I love you." - The Vampire Diaries (Damon Salvatore)
- "In this crazy world, full of change and chaos, there is one thing of which I am certain: you are my constant, my touchstone, my home." - Grey's Anatomy (Derek Shepherd)
Well-Known Love Quotes Can Speak Volumes
Whether it's a famous love quote from a popular author or book, a beautiful poem, or even a favorite movie or song, there's no shortage or heart-touching sayings to share with the ones you love. Find what speaks to you most and pass it along.
Trending on LoveToKnow
© 2023 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.